image: header
Home | About | Contact | Editing Services | Resources | Workshops | Mythic Impact Blog | Sowing Light Seeds

“You enter the extraordinary by way of the ordinary.” ~Frederick Buechner

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Build A Story World


Cross-culture—era cont’d

Even when speaking the same language there are so many areas that can create emotional stress from disrespect to humor. On my first trip to a delicatessen I asked for smoked meat and was asked what kind. I had no idea what he was talking about and tried to explain the packages that you could boil in water and put in a sandwich. He looked at me as if I was from another planet. Several months later I tried once again at another place with different wording and received the same reaction. A tourist from New York City overheard our conversation and told me to ask for pastrami. It was an East Coast-West Coast difference, not country borders.

Now grocers’ stock different food from all around the world and most situations do not even exist.  But back then it startled me to realize some of my basic familiar foods were no longer available. My cultural changes were minor and often humorous, however, for displaced refugees the emotional cost is staggering. I highly recommend the movie Green Dragon as an example of how life can be impacted.

Exercise Optional
1.     If you decide to watch Green Dragon look for the many ways that the arts bring hope and healing to both cultures involved. Note that the beginning of the movie is in sub-titles until the language barrier is overcome.

Exercise:
Pair your character with a stranger in a cooking class where they are both trying to learn to make a specialty dish foreign to both of them.

Share: What is the funniest incident?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
"The Seeker" Rachel Marks | Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs
image: footer