image: header
Home | About | Contact | Editing Services | Resources | Workshops | Mythic Impact Blog | Sowing Light Seeds

“You enter the extraordinary by way of the ordinary.” ~Frederick Buechner

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Dream Makers Writing Prompt (2)


As I Grew Older by Langston Hughes 

“It was a long time ago.
I have almost forgotten my dream.
But it was there then,
In front of me,
Bright like a sun--
My dream.
And then the wall rose,
Rose slowly,
Slowly,
Between me and my dream.

Rose until it touched the sky--
The wall.
Shadow.
I am black.
I lie down in the shadow.
No longer the light of my dream before me,
Above me.
Only the thick wall.
Only the shadow.
My hands!
My dark hands!
Break through the wall!
Find my dream!
Help me to shatter this darkness,
To smash this night,
To break this shadow
Into a thousand lights of sun,
Into a thousand whirling dreams
Of sun!”


1. How does the wall metaphor impact this poem? What other feelings or emotions does it imply?

2. Identify and list places where your dreams were stopped or side-tracked, delayed, or changed. Next to each write down one to three metaphors that express the situation.

3. Choose one metaphor and expand it by saying other ways you could describe it.

4. Re-write that chosen incident either as a poem or prose piece incorporating your metaphor, and if appropriate, the voice age at which the incident was experienced.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
"The Seeker" Rachel Marks | Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs
image: footer